Welcome to Bonneville Tatters
The Bonneville Tatters began June 28th, 2008 on Jackie Kidd's patio. That first meeting consisted of Julie Johnson, Jackie Kidd, Wendy Griffin and Melissa Lichtenstein, they talked out their ideas and decided to organize and start the Bonneville Tatters.
On July 19th 2008, Julie Johnson, Jackie Kidd, Janeal Plouzek, Lorella Smith, Leara Bernhard, Melissa Lichtenstein , Wendy Stoddard, Heidi Sugden, and Wendy Griffin (who was not there but on a phone placed in the middle of the table everyone sat around) at the West Valley Library wrote out the By Laws and elected the first officers of the Bonneville Tatters.
|Chair Elect||-||Jackie Kidd|
The group met the third Saturday each month except December from 1 - 4 pm at the Library with their first public meeting on September 20th, 2008.
September 2008 - First public meeting
October 2008 - beading was taught by Jackie Kidd
November 2008 - nominations were held for 2009 elections
A website was created and is www.bonnevilletatters.com.
Utah State Fair demonstrations were organized by Janeal Plouzek and Lorella Smith, with members from the Bonneville Tatters giving tatting demonstrations and club information to Fair attendees. Those attendees account for the majority of our members who come to the monthly Bonneville Tatters meetings.
In 2009, Julie Johnson organized an entry into the Salt Lake City Festival of Trees. Lots of people contributed time, tatting and props to make the entry a wonderful success.
Also in 2009, Aloma Blaylock , organized the Ogden Chapter of the Bonneville Tatters which meets at the Pleasant Valley Branch Library the 1st Saturday of each month except January.
January 2009 - Elected new officers for 2010 and teaching "Split Rings"
|Past Chair||-||Julie Johnson|
|Chair Elect||-||Janeal Plouzek|
February 2009 - Split Chains taught by Julie Johnson
March 2009 - Hiding ends for a finished look was taught
April 2009 - Reviewed Split Rings, Split Chains, Hiding Tails
Several Members attend Shuttlebirds Tatting Conference in Spokane Valley, WA - Dale Pomeroy (The Mad Tatter) a certified tatting instructor from the Wasatch Front taught a class at Shuttlebirds.
May 2009 - Spokane workshop review and Jackie Kidd teaches Card Making
(June 2009 and July 2009 meeting information missing)
August 2009 - Shuttling Through Time taught by Dale Pomeroy
September 2009 - demonstrations were given at the Utah State Fair by club members
November 2009 - Nominated 2010 officers
January 2010 - Elected 2010 officers
|Past Chair||-||Jackie Kidd|
|Chair Elect||-||Karen McLaws|
February 2010 - Tat and Chat
March 2010 - Taught Winding Shuttles, hiding threads and adding new threads.
April 2010 - Tat and Chat –
Several Members attend Shuttlebirds Tatting Conference in Spokane Valley, WA - Jackie Kidd taught card making with tatted embellishments at Shuttlebirds.
May 2010 - Tat and Chat, review of Spokane Workshop, Card Making taught by Jackie Kidd
June 2010 – Beaded Earrings taught by Marty Lewis
July 2010 - Christmas in July
August 2010 - Tat and Chat
September 2010 - demonstrations were given through out the 2010 Fair.
October 2010 - Celtic Knots were taught
November 2010 – Nominated 2011 officers
January 2011 - Elected new officers
|Past Chair||-||Janeal Plouzek|
|Chair Elect||-||Julie Johnson|
February 2011 - Tat and Chat
Discussed start up of the Utah County Chapter with Lorna Burgess
March 2011 - Split Rings were taught by Jackie Kidd
April 2011 - Split Rings were taught by Julie Johnson
Several members attended the Spokane workshop where Wendy Griffin taught needle tatting
May 2011 - Bead Techniques were taught by Jackie Kidd and Sean Mclaws
June 2011 - Blocking and Cleaning was taught by Lisa Kramer and State Fair rules and hints was taught by Karin Holder
July 2011 - Christmas in July was held with White Elephant gifts exchanged and games by Karen Mclaws and Julie Johnson
July 2011 - Bountiful Handcart Days demonstrations were given by several BT members
August 2011 - Worked on Fair projects and Tat and Chat
September 2011 - Tat and Chat - We had more new members at this meeting than we had our regular tatters.
Utah State Fair demonstrations, several of our members received ribbons at the fair. These are ribbon winners that were reported: Aloma Blaylock, a blue and red for her vest and hat; Sharon Cragun, a blue for her U.S. Flag; Leesa Kramer, a blue for her tatted cross bookmark; Marty Lewis, several ribbons (we need a list of projects).
October 2011 - Needle tatting was taught by Wendy Griffin
We were invited to donate tatted snowflakes for the 2013 IOLA (International Old Lacers Association) convention, those who wants to participate asked to tat a 6 pointed, #20 thread, snowflake about the size of a small canning lid
November 2011 - Tat and Chat and nominations taken for new officers.
January 2012 - Tat and Chat and Election of new officers
|Past Chair||-||Karen McLaws|
|Chair Elect||-||Lara Barnhart|
February 2012 - Tat and Chat and Wendy taught Paperclip Tatting
Officers meeting held prior to February meeting
- Update bylaws - New Permanant Officer Postion: Webmaster - Sean McLaws; new web address www.bonnevilletatters.org
- Plan 2012 Calendar
March 2012 - Julie taught “How to Tat large rings and long chains that look good” and “Rings on Rings”
April 2012 - Tat and Chat
May 2012 - Sean taught “Cluny Leaf”
June 2012 - Leora taught “Easy-beady earrings”, Karen taught “Block Edging”
July 2012 - Julie Johnson hosted Christmas in July fun was had by everyone with a White Elephant exchange, shuttle games, homemade snacks and drawings.
August 2012 - Tat and Chat, discussed upcoming State Fair business
September 2012 - Tat and Chat and discussed fair winners. Congratulations to Marty Lewis with 7 blue and and 2 red ribbons, Karen McLaws with 1 blue ribbon, Jaye Jarvis 1 blue and 4 red ribbons, Jan Davis 2 red ribbons, Lori Brevertom, 1 red, 1 white and 1 pink ribbon, Joyce Marden, 1 red ribbon, Natalie Stratton 1 red ribbon, and Barbara Hubbard with 1 white ribbon. Sorry if anyone was missed or the ribbons are listed incorrectly.
October 2012 - Tat and Chat
November 2012 - Marty taught Swirl Tatted Crystal Chain Bracelet with several variations.
- 2013 Officer nominations were postponed until January meeting due to so few people at the meeting.
December 2012 - No meeting
January 2013 - Tat and Chat
- Jeanie taught Magic Thread (hiding ends)
- Elections were held for 2013
|Past Chair||-||Julie Johnson|
|Chair Elect||-||Leesa Kramer|
February 2013 - Jeanie taught different Tips and Tricks
March 2013 - Leesa taught Shamrocks and Easter, pearl tatting
April 2013 - Tat and Chat while many of our members went to Spokane tatting conference
May 2013 - Tat and Chat
- Jeanie taught Katherine Wheel
- State Fair demonstrators singed up
June 2013 - Jeanie taught/reviewed split rings to start making a U.S. Flag pattern
July 2013 - Christmas in July – fun for everyone, games and white elephant gift exchange.
August 2013 - Tat and Chat - Leesa taught 3D Flower Barrets
September 2013 -
Tat and Chat - Jackie Kidd taught making mesh boxes and decorating tops for boxes, jars, etc.
- State Fair – Bonneville Tatter's members demonstrated tatting to the fair audience.
Here is a list of several of the many tatting entry winners that the Historian noted. There where probably more but not found among the many beautiful crafts displayed:
Marlene Lewis, 7 Blue
Jeanie Schekel, 6 Blue
Wendy Star, 2 Red
Sharon Raleigh, 2 Red
Fay Jarvis, 1 Red, 1 White, 1 Pink
Francine Bailey, 1 Blue, 1 White
Sharon Cragun, 1 Blue
Joan Harrington, 1 Blue
Elaine Walton, 1 Red
Peggy Wilson, 1 Red
October 2013 - Planned: (typically many new members from State Fair; several teachers needed)
- tat & chat
November 2013 - Planned: cluny – Sean McLaws
- nomination of officers for January elections
December 2013 - Planned: Ogden – tat & chat
- Salt Lake City – no meeting due to Christmas
January 2014 - Tat and Chat
- Jeanie taught Magic Thread (hiding ends)
- Elections were held for 2014
|Past Chair||-||Lara Barnhart|
|Chair Elect||-||Shannon Rhodes|
February 2014 - Tat and Chat
- Show and Tell - Bracelets, 3D Tatting
- Leesa Kramer taught Sharmrock Bracelet
March 2014 - Tat and Chat
- Lees Kramer taught “Tatting Shuttle Name Tag” which was rewritten by Jeanie Schekel for 5,6,7&8 letter names.
April 2014 - Tat and Chat
- Leesa Kramer discussed pratical uses for tatted pieces, here are a few examples:
- Collars, Vests, Card embellishments, Ornaments, Flowers, Edginings, Bookmarks, Jewelry, pretty much anything you can use crochet for.
- Also discussed hiding threads by sewing them in, using magic threads made of Fishing wire, beading wire, floss threaders etc.
May 2014 – Tat and Chat
- Arlene Johnson and her granddaughter gave a demonstration on how a right handed person can teach a left handed person tatting techniques.
- Tonya Carmon gave a review of her experiences at Shuttle Birds last month.
- Ann shared new patterns, books, shuttles and bobbins from Handy Hands.
- Jeanie Schekel showed six tatting knots and when to use them.
- Leesa Kramer gave talked about cleaning, starching, blocking and care of tatting.
June 2014 – Tat and Chat
- Linda Thurman shared her discovery of $1 store wire pencil baskets and using tatted motifs and edging to decorate them. She also found that Toddler’s Chef BoyRDee microwave food containers with vent holes from the $1 store are perfect in-expensive thread holders.
- Marty Lewis show differents ways to hide tatting ends.
- Leesa Kramer taught her Beaded Dragonfly pattern.
- Kelley Kiyota showed her use of the Tatting Shuttle Name Tags which she sews to onto hand made Journal Covers.
July 2014 – Christmas in July, white elephant exchange, tatting party games.
- Rhonda shared her Nativity Motif that she altered to her specifics.
August 2014 – Tat and Chat
- Jeanie Schekel taught Mille-Fleurs pattern by Joelle Paulso.
September 2014- Tat and Chat
- Discussed different ways to teach and how we learn.
- Several Bonneville tatters submitted entries to the Utah State Fair, below is a list of those that we know of:
Halloween Card, Blue
Stuffed Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Blue
Christmas Mice Bookmarks, Blue
Beaded Earrings, Blue
Rainbow Colored Doiley, Blue
T Shirt Neck Edging, Blue
Pink Doiley, Blue
Floral Headband with Butterfly, Blue
Purple Coaster, Red
Catapillar Paperclip, Red
Green Brouch, Pink
Christmas Ornanent, Blue
Crazy Quilt with tatting, Blue
Mauve Motif on Journal, Blue
Purple,Pink,Blue Bookmark, Blue
Green Butterfly, Red
Egg Ornament, Blue
October 2014 – Chat and Tats
- Discussed ways to organize patterns and supplies, both manually and electronic.
- Discussed Aloma Blaylock Fund
- Learned ways to determine how much thread a project needs.
November 2014 – Chat and Tat
- Linda Thurman shared her beauthiful 50 year wedding display and tatted collar.
- Jeanie Schekel showed and the group how do read a thread chart and hwo to determine the size of any thread.
- Took nominations for next years officers.
December 2014 No meeting due to the business of the Christmas season.
January 2015 - Tat and Chat
- Elections were held for 2015
|Past Chair||-||Leesa Kramer|
February 2015 - Tat and Chat
- Kimberly Deweese voted to be Chair Elect
- Discussed International Tatting Day April 1st and ways to honor/enjoy it.
- Everyone who wanted to, shared their current project/product/pattern etc. with the group. Fun, informative, let’s do it again.
- Shannon Rhodes shared her story of how and why she started tatting.
March 2015 - Tat and Chat
- Lessa Kramer gave a class on Antique Tatting sources and Antique Patterns
- Everyone shared something related to tatting.
April 2015 – Tat and Chat
- Round Robin Classes
- Shannon taught Covering Cabone Rings
- Jeanie taught how to open a closed ring and tricks to make a better closing of a ring
- Kelly taught her self developed 3-D Heart pattern
- Leara taught Social get together skills by having everyone answer questions cards on tatting
- Everyone shared something they liked about tatting.
May 2015 - Tat and Chat
- Leesa Kramer taught Cathrine Wheel Joins
- Sharing time with tips and likes
June 2015 - Tat and Chat
- Sharing Time
- State Fair Sign Up
July 2015 - Xmas in July, everyone shared a tatted Xmas item with the group
- Gift Exchange
- Fun, fun, fun
August 2015 - Tat and Chat
- Dale Pomeroy taught several joins
- Heather Bee was elected to become the new Chair Elect
September 2015 - Tat and Chat
- State Fiar winners were:
- Tamara Hustead – Chess Set – Advanced Sweepstake
- Virva Sandorf – Bookmark – Blue
- Alenae Mackey – Mask – Blue
- Virva Sandorf – Card – Blue
- Jann Davis – Square Doiley – Blue
- Alenae Mackey – Trim – Blue
- Virva Sandorf – Trim – Red
October 2015 - Tat and Chat
November 2015 - Tat and Chat
- 2016 Officer Nominations
December 2015 - No Meting
January 2014 - Tat and Chat
- Elections were held for 2016
|Past Chair||-||Shannon Rhodes|
|Chair Elect||-||Eva Rushton|
February 2016 - Tat and Chat
March 2016 - Tat and Chat
- We were introduced to a program on how to diagram a tatting pattern. Look up www.koreantatter.blogspot.com
April 2016 - Tat and Chat
May 2016 – Tat and Chat
- Several Bonneville tatters reported on the classes they took at Shuttlebirds in Washington. Next year's theme will be Flurie of Flakes.
June 2016 – Tat and Chat
- Planned next month's Christmas in July
- State Fair Sign-up started
July 2016 – pending
August 2016 – pending
September 2016 – pending
October 2016 – pending
November 2016 – pending
December 2016 – pending